Monday, October 02, 2006

What in the World!!

I just watched a newscast about the man in Pennsylvania that bound and executed 6 kids at an Amish school. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out cnn.com and you'll see it. I am just floored as many all over the world probably are as well at the actions of this man. This guy was a father, husband, and only 32 years old. That's how old I am, so his kids are little. He wasn't Amish either. It seems like some random killing. He did leave notes at home for all of his family and called his wife right before he started shooting to tell her he wasn't coming home.

Ok...so I'm processing this. How? Why? The world is broken people. WE, as a people, must be the arms, eyes, ears, hands, feet, heart, and mouth of Jesus. Not that we can fix it. I don't want that job. I like playing dumb sometimes. It's easier that way. But I'm not called to play dumb or to turn a blind eye. I am called to be salt and light in a very dark twisted broken world. If you're like me though, there are the days that I don't want to be salt and light. I just want to be that one spice that gets pushed to the back of the cabinet and only used like once a year, it's a good spice, but not one used everyday, like paprika! Yeah, paprika. Why is it that some of us (I'm assuming that there others who share my feelings) shy away from brokenness? I mean, we are all broken, but some are shattered into pieces, like that guy that shot those kids and himself. Some of us are just chipped. Nonetheless, brokenness. Which is why we cry out to Jesus. But why, as a body, do we run from others brokenness? I wonder if that young man felt isolated and like he had no one that was "with him" heart and soul. We bail on people, don't we? I have. I hate to admit it, but I have. And I've been bailed on. Not a fun feeling. I bet Jesus felt that way, like no one was with him "heart and soul". I am so thankful for Jesus and his example of not bailing on others when the "water started boiling." And really, we know going into this thing called christianity, that it isn't going to be an easy ride. Like those Staples commercials, with the big read "EASY" button. Boy how I wish I had one for real though. But we all knew that being children of the King meant that we would, at times, invite danger. There I said it. Danger. Or did we know it? I don't think I really got that at 18 years of age. At this point in my life, I just feel so strongly, that Jesus called us to live life on the "edge" with him. Can it be dangerous? Yes. When we dive into others brokenness, in an effort to help them, is there some risk? Absolutely.

It's a good thing Jesus didn't (and doesn't) bail on us when we were chipped, shattered, bruised, beaten and just stinky.

What is God teaching you right now about brokenness and helping to "mend"? Let's pay attention! And act when you are compelled to, whatever it may be.

3 comments:

Lara said...

I'm so bad about not wanting to even watch the news or read a paper anymore. I have so withdrawn from that part of the world in the last two years. I have "cave syndrome" much of the time. But you're right, God has not called us to live in a cave. We have to be salt, pouring OUT of the shaker, not just sitting in there getting stale. I pray that I'll use my God glasses this week to see people where they are and extend HIS hands when needed. Thanks, Felicia, for the reminder.

flee said...

I'm with you Lara. I feel like I need to constantly be reminded of this. I'm glad to know that you are willing to step out on the "edge" with God. It can be very exciting and frightening all at the same time. I can't wait to hear from you how God used you this week.

We forgot about Sunday. Hopefully we'll be there this Sunday. I heard it was great!

Have a great day girl...

Angie said...

Yeah... I have been following this news coverage. I'm just astounded that this is not an exception. It has been happening WAY TOO MUCH lately.

Going along with your thoughts... I'm sure the Amish believed that they were insulated from things like this... from the world. I can't imagine how shocked and devastated their community is. I'm praying for them...

So, this feeling of insulation is an illusion. No one is really safe or exempt from attacks from Satan or people who have lost touch with reality. Our tendency might be to insulate ourselves even more...

But as you said, God calls us to be the influence on the world instead of being cave dwellers (like Lara mentioned). I have to confess that I'm guilty of isolating myself from people or situations. It does me more harm than good, but I'm a slow learner...

That's why I need reminders like this post! Thank you, Flee!