Tuesday, April 24, 2007

8 Years!!!!!




Todd and I have been married for 8 years TODAY!!!

We met at the Children's Home of Lubbock in May of 98. He was working as a Unit Director/Therapist of the Therapeutic Program when I started working there. I was very excited about working there as it was a new chapter in my life. Up to that point, I had only known AIM and SIBI. CHOL really stretched me and I loved it! Well...some days I didn't, but most of the time I did. While Todd and I were dating, I would always be so intrigued by the way he handled the kids there. He was really good at what he did and most of the kids really loved and respected Mr. Todd. Sometimes, it would shock me at how "tough" he would be, always doing it with love. He loved those kids. Really. And they loved him back. I knew that he was a keeper and that he would be a great dad someday. I wish my Searcy friends could have seen him in that place. It really was humbling to watch.

So we dated. I really love thinking of those days. We had so much fun together. We had many things in common and really enjoyed getting to know each other better. I knew that he was the one for me after probably 2 weeks of dating and talking. That summer, I spent about 5 weeks in Mexico City with some friends, reaching out to people in that city. It was a great experience. Todd came down the last week we were there. We had only been dating a couple of months. I knew that he was serious about me at that point. If you don't know me well, I'll tell you this: I love people! I love getting to know people. But at a certain point, I kinda pull back a bit. I felt like he was getting too close and I tried to run him off. This was customary for me with guys that actually liked me. But it didn't work. He didn't quit. I'm so thankful for that. When we returned to the States together, he came to my house for a few days to spend some time with my family. We continued to date and it was getting serious. Then, on December 19, Todd's birthday, he asked me to marry him. It was the coolest day for me. I sang in a wedding that day with my peeps(shout out to Unshackled!!! haa haa) and most everyone around me knew about this evening that would unfold. After we sang, I just sat around talking to friends and Todd hung out by himself. I thought this strange at the time, but now I know he was killing time. Also, a friend of mine told me it would be a good idea to plan a surprise party for him, so I did. So I had this in the back of my mind. So, he takes me home to change because we are going out for his birthday. Or maybe we were going to meet up later, I don't remember exactly. Anyway...he comes back in this limo with a rose. I'm surprised since it's his birthday and all. He said his parents paid for the limo for both of us for his birthday, and I'm thinking, "cool...", so we're off! As we are driving, Todd gets a 911 page from the Children's Home. This is not a strange occurence as it happened often. I thought it was terrible timing, but, it happens. So we end up having to go out there. It was about 15 min. outside of town. On the way out there, I'm preparing my mind for something really bad! I'm also ready to do some restraining of kids and all that fun stuff. So we get out there, to Cottage 3, and we walk in, and there's a lot of people inside. Kids are sitting on the floor, and they immediately start singing, "You are my Sunshine" and I'm thinking, "how sweet, they are singing to Todd on his birthday." I didn't get it....until Todd started talking. It seems like a blur, like someone put me into slow motion from that point on. He asked me in front of all of those kids and people (his family was there, and alot of our friends)! It was a time I will never forget. I said yes and after alot of hugs, and kids asking Todd for money to buy shoes and such, we left. We were going to eat at one of my fav places. I'm still thinking about this party too. So we eat. It was great. And we finally get to the party and everyone we love is there. Actually, the joke was on me because Todd had planned this as well. He had my friend plant that idea in my mind, so that we could share our moment with the rest of our friends. So he knew all along. It was great. He put alot of thought into that night.

We got married 4 months later. It was a beautiful day that was FULL!!! After our evening wedding, we ran out of food at the reception, so we ordered pizza at the hotel. We got up early the next day to catch a plane to Houston. I didn't know where we were going. And later found out that we were doing a 7 night cruise to Cancun, Cozumel and Roatan, Honduras. It was WONDERFUL!!!!!

8 years later, we are happier than ever and loving how God has amazed us! '

Thank you God for Todd. I wouldn't be who I am today if I had never found him. Thank you!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary to you! Your post made me cry. Thanks for loving my brother so much. Love you.
~Shauna

Carolyn said...

Wow...congrats. You guys look great - is that a recent pic? It was neat to reread the story. I am thankful God has blessed your marriage as He has and for your wonderful family.

Love and miss you,
Care

Anonymous said...

Todd-

You the MAN!!!

ABaker

Unknown said...

I loved hearing your story! thanks for sharing it! Happy Anniversary! May it just get better and better!

Rachel said...

Happy anniversary!!

Anonymous said...

Very sweet! He did a great job and is very sneaky! :) Maryella has been stuck on singing "You are my sunshine" and now it will make me think of your special night. I can't believe I have never asked you about this! It sounds like it was perfect...planned by God. Love ya!

Jessica L. Johnson said...

Wow Felicia! I somehow stummbled onto your blog. Your kids are adorable! What a special day it was when you got engaged, especially for me since it was my wedding you sang at! It is good to see that you guys are doing so well, congrats on the 8 years!

flee said...

Hey Jessica!!!

I inevitably think of you and Chris when I think about getting engaged. That was a good day for so many reasons. And thanks for letting me be a part of your day! I still remember it. Hope you guys are doing good in Leon. Thanks for stopping by here!

Much love,
flee

The Gearharts said...

Eight years..three kids. We are kindred spirits. I love you and I am glad you found a good man. You have wonderful memories! Kids screaming must go.
Amy G

Gina said...

What a sweet story! I LOVE romance....

And what a GREAT pic! You guys are a truly beautiful couple, both inside and out.

Anonymous said...

Hi Felicia! Remember me from the Mabee/Tatum when y'all where at CHOL? I just found your blog! What a great engagement story too!!!! Your kids are adorable - can't believe Asher is that old now! I'm now a SAHM now too. My baby, Andrew is 17 months. Do you keep in touch with many of the kids from CHOL? I've run into a few occasionally, its neat to see them all grown up - I've found a few through myspace, if you ever get on that site. I know that you and Todd made a tremendous difference in their lives!!!!! Have a wonderful day!!! :)

Neva said...

Ahhhh . . .and God saw that it was good!

:)

Peace
Neva

Lara said...

That is so awesome. I love you guys! Congratulations on 8 years of marriage and three precious kiddos. You are blessed indeed!

Lara

Lara said...

That is so awesome. I love you guys! Congratulations on 8 years of marriage and three precious kiddos. You are blessed indeed!

Lara

Lisa said...

Happy late Anniversary!!!

Toni Burns said...

Happy very late anniversary. Still remember the day that he proposed to you - Glad you are a part of my life - love Toni

La Pistolera said...

Hello. Happy belated anniversary. I remeber all of that exciting time for you. It was exceptional. Blessing Belinda

TREY MORGAN said...

Man, you guys look great. Seems like just yesterday you two were getting married.

Blessings....