Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Good morning!!

A great friend of mine gave me a little book, My Utmost for His Highest, and I've really been struck by all the nuggets of wisdom and insight by this guy, Oswald Chambers. I actually was given it once before right out of highschool, but I don't remember reading it much then, and most of it would have gone straight over my head. Some of it still goes over my head, but alot of it has been speaking straight to my heart.

I was catching up this morning and read the page from yesterday. The title of it is "Nothing of the Old Life". I want to just include an excerpt from his thoughts.

"When we are born again, the Holy Spirit begins to work His new creation in us, and there will come a time when there is nothing remaining of the old life. Our old gloomy outlook disappears, as does our old attitude toward things, and "all things are of God" (2 Cor. 5:18). How are we going to get a life that has no lust, no self-interest, and is not sensitive to the ridicule of others? How will we have the type of love that "is kind....is not provoked, and thinks no evil"? The only way is by allowing nothing of the old life to remain, and by having only simple, perfect trust in God--such a trust that we no longer want God's blessings, but only want God Himself. Have we come to the point where God can withdraw His blessings from us without our trust in Him being affected? Once we truly see God at work, we will never be concerned again about the things that happen, because we are actually trusting in our Father in heaven, whom the world cannot see."

In the last couple of years, I've really struggled with my trust in God. I mean, who hasn't really. I know I'm not unique in this. But really. I want to trust God to the point that he speaks about. This idea of "not wanting God's blessings" is so counter cultural; even in the church. We all want God's blessings. And I don't think he's saying we shouldn't pray for certain things to be blessed. But to get to the point in my walk where all I really want is God Himself, and nothing more. Wow. And doesn't that feel so out of reach somtimes? Like only the great men and women of the Bible had that kind of trust. Oh I know they struggled too; but sometimes I feel like they were/are on a whole different level. It seems like we have so much more competing for our attention, time, effort here and now than they did. I'm thankful that He is getting me there. I may be kicking and screaming some days, but He's getting me there.

Father, thank you for your gentle knudges and whispers, and for your firm hand when necessary. I don't doubt that you love me. Help me to trust you more and more. Help me to surrender all of me to you. Thank you for the many ways you speak today. I love you Father.

In Jesus' name,
amen

7 comments:

Beth said...

Amen! Thank you for posting that; I really needed to hear that today. There was a time when I only wanted God but I have drifted away toward wanting His blessings.

Guy and Nancy said...

Hey! I wasn't sure how to get a hold of you but thanks for posting on my blog! Yes...I do remember you are in Searcy but totally forgot! We are Youth and Family ministers in Pasadena, Tx where Barry Day is the preacher. We have been here for 8 months and absolutely love it. We will be at Harding again sometime(not sure when)so I will give u a ring! Let me know how to get a hold of you on my blog - Nan

The Gearharts said...

Great post. Wanting to touch base. We are in Lubbock. I remember another book you gave me that really changed me. I think it was called Balcony People. I am glad you have been my friend.

Kristi said...

Wondering how you are lady...You've got an update post in you somewhere?? I hope you are well.
Love, Kristi

Amy, you could post too. I miss hearing from you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Flee!
Came across your email from (gulp) a year ago and thought I'd log in and see if there was any news. Looks like your life is as busy as ever, I just hope you're doing wonderfully!

Hug to you,
tiffany in Portland

Anonymous said...

FLEE!!! My goodness - I sure wish I could hug your neck and meet your precious babies! Recently told that story about bustin' you in mission term...remember? HEHEHE - anyway- would love to know how life at Harding is, how Mama Rosie is...if you still sing..lots of things. Much love - Crystal

Toni Burns said...

One year since your last post - dounbt you will get thie message. Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing = Love you -